Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Home to darkeness


This past month I was fortunate enough to travel to Los Angeles. While in LA Super Storm Sandy hit our area fairly hard. We returned to a home without power. Three days later, eight inches of snow fell. I slipped on a patch of ice while shoveling the driveway and hurt my wrist which is now in puffed up to twice its size and in a brace (had x-rays, no fracture) It is difficult to type this as my fingers keep missing the keys. Between being away and then being dislocated by the storm, I’m feeling a bit disconnected and unfocused. I feel I lost a bit of my momentum and am trying to get back up to speed. The internet just came back on today.

While in LA I photographed the Pacific Ocean. I am posting Atlantic and Pacific Oceans here one on top of the other BUT in installation I want to project these on opposite walls of a narrow room, restricting the viewer’s sight line. The overall length will be about 20 feet. Seeing them here may be a bit underwhelming and you need to image it as a room of crashing ocean. I want to engage the viewer in his or her own sense of perception. One cannot see the imagery in its entirety but must scan the surface, experiencing a decentralized gaze. The ocean and sky are photographed in a straightforward documentary manner. In each video the same section of ocean and sky are photographed and rephotographed over a time span of about an hour.  My intent is to display a kind of inventory of time, a layered temporal experience. The water is photographed in a downward perspective and the sky, looking up. When edited together in a grid flattens and abstracts the vastness of the ocean.





After LA we traveled north to Portland Oregon where I photographed the Willamette River. More about that soon, I hope.





No comments:

Post a Comment