This past residency brough up for me many past issues. While I have been struggling to find a direction to expand my work it became clear this residency how embedded old sensibilities are in me. It became known that my very influential undergraduate instructor, Jan Groover, passed away while we were in Boston. I missed the impromptu tribute held in her honor with other past students. I am not the only one who orbits her star. As I read the many tributes written about her I heard echos of my current and past artist statements, things like “ the space between things is more than the things themselves” and “without narrative or representational associations”. Her constant mantra was “form is everything.”
I created these two SX-70 pieces in 1980 while studying under her at School of Visual Arts. They were exhibited at the Polaroid Gallery in Boston in a group exhibition of student work curated by Victor Schrager, another formative instructor. Going forward I will remember my lessons from the past.


I love the second set, Rita. The color is so soft and contemplative. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete